TUG 2003:
The Silver Anniversary -- 25 Years! -- of TeX

Visa Information

If you need a letter of invitation,
contact Patricia Monohon at

Destination USA: What is a Visa

Visitors from outside the USA should check with the nearest US Embassy or Consulate to see if a Visa is required. Information on US Embassies and Consulates is listed on the web at: http://travel.state.gov/links.html

Apply early, and note that obtaining US visas in a country other than your country of citizenship may not be possible.


The Visa Waiver Pilot Program enables citizens of participating countries to travel to the US for tourism or business for 90 days or less without obtaining a US Visa.

 Countries listed as of January 1998 are:

   Andorra   	Argentina    	Austria        	Australia
   Belgium   	Brunei       	Denmark        	Finland
   France    	Germany     	Iceland         Ireland
   Italy     	Japan       	Liechtenstein   Luxembourg
   Monaco    	The Netherlands New Zeland  	Norway
   San Marino  	Spain     	Sweden          Switzerland
   The United Kingdom

Participants must have a round trip ticket and a valid passport and seek 
entry for 90 days or less.

No extensions are allowable under this status nor can this status be changed.

Participants need not go to a Consulate for an entry permit. When entering 
the US, they will be given the Visa at the airport. 
It will be either 
WB [Note], Waiver for Business, or 
WT, Waiver for Tourism.

The same restrictions apply as with B1/B2. Participants may not work or study. 
They may not receive salary, consultant fees nor per diem.


   1.   WB status will allow for reimbursement of expenses. To obtain a WB, 
	the participant when entering the US, must show evidence of coming 
	for business, i.e. a letter of invitation from a business or university 
	which describes the work to be done. 

Citizens of other countries should obtain B-1 (business) visas from the US Embassy or Consulate in their country before departure.
Family members should obtain B-2 (pleasure) visas.

If you are visiting other institutions in the US, check with them for any additional visa requirements, especially if you anticipate receiving financial support from a US institution.

Holders of J-1 or HB visas should contact their sponsoring host institutions if necessary.

| Accommodation | Bursary | Call for Abstracts | Climate | Contacts | Donations | Flyer | Heritage | Home |
| Invitation | Manuscripts | News | Participants | Program | Registration | Schedule | Sponsors | Talks | Travel | Visas |