KPathSea bindings for Java

Deyan Ginev deyan.ginev at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 17:03:29 CEST 2024

On Sun, Jul 21, 2024 at 10:53 AM Erik Nijenhuis <erik at xerdi.com> wrote:

> Hi Deyan,
>

> > "jk" is very commonly used to abbreviate "joke" in the English
> > speaking world, and would be a rather unfortunate prefix.
> I personally think it would make it a fortunate prefix ;)

True, perspective varies with standpoint :-)

> > I completely agree that a wrapper over kpathsea should include the
> > original library name fully, having created a "rust-kpathsea" myself.
> Funny that you mention. Tyge Tiessen was looking for that actually. He
> demonstrated a rust implementation of TeX at the TUG 2024 Conference.
>         https://github.com/tyti/rtex
>         https://youtu.be/d7vTW7PR0B4?t=9819
> I don't have his contact information unfortunately. Maybe someone else
> can share https://github.com/dginev/rust-kpathsea with him.

re: rtex

The second maintainer of rust-kpathsea, Emily Eisenberg, joined exactly as
part of working on a Rust port of TeX itself back in 2019.
Similarly to what I understand from the rtex talk, she was also doing it
out of curiosity, attempting to learn both languages at the same time.
I think she took some additional liberties in inventing abstractions, but -
to my knowledge - hasn't presented her work anywhere yet.

Her port is called "XymosTeX", available at:

https://github.com/xymostech/XymosTeX

Greetings,
Deyan