KPathSea bindings for Java

Erik Nijenhuis erik at xerdi.com
Sun Jul 21 16:31:30 CEST 2024

Hi Karl,

> Suppose someone (else) wanted to create a JNI interface for, say, TeX
> typesetting functionality. In theory I agree it would be ideal, from
> software engineering point of view, if this ended up as a single
> project
> that included both the jkpathsea and the new typesetting stuff, but
> in
> practice, how likely is that? In my experience ... hardly at all.
I agree. However, It's always tedious to have to rename a project,
especially when it's already submitted. You've addressed some Java
projects earlier and other utilities were fmtutil, which is written in
Perl if I'm correct, so not applicable. Same goes for mktexlsr, which
is shell script, so also not applicable. So, maybe changes are little
that the scope has to be widened after all.

> People
> always want to set up new projects in ways that they understand, they
> control, etc. The amount of duplicated code in the world (TeX and
> otherwise) because of this is ... staggering.
I think that it's indeed very educative to learn JNI programming. Great
skill to have as Java developer IMO.

> Thus I don't think it would be bad for everything about this to be
> named
> "jkpathsea"? "tex4j" sounds to me exactly like some sort of Java
> implementation/library for all of TeX, and it isn't. Wdyt?
I also think that, after all feedback I got, jkpathsea is the best
option to stick with.

Best, Erik