Config questiopns

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Sat Feb 17 09:18:52 CET 2024

On Fri, Feb 16, 2024 at 09:34:01PM +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:
> On 16/02/2024 17:46, Gabor Urban wrote:
> > 1. I have some collections of Plain TeX macroes which I use quite
> > frequently. I store them in a global texmf directory.
> > With TeLive I have found the directory texmf-local\local\plain,
>
> My understanding is that that is a directory in all TeX installations and is
> protected (only system administrators) because it's intended for multi-user
> systems, where "local" means "all users on this machine". It does not mean
> "personal".

If TeX Live was installed for all users, then indeed it requires
admin permissions to write. For a single-user installation, that is
not the case.

In either case, you need to update the filename database. The GUI
TeX Live manager can do that for you. The filename database for each
tree is in the root of the tree.

You can also create a personal texmf tree %USERPROFILE%\texmf. For
this tree, you do not need a filename database.

Plain TeX macros belong in the tex\plain subdirectory: macros from
TeX Live itself in texmf-dist\tex\plain, other macros in
texmf-local\tex\plain or %USERPROFILE%\texmf\tex\plain.

--
Siep Kroonenberg