metafun broken?

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Fri Sep 29 22:49:23 CEST 2023

On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 02:39:54PM -0600, Karl Berry wrote:
>     I downloaded cont-tmf.zip from this
>     http://pragma-ade.nl/context/latest/ web address.
>
> I guess I'm going blind. Oh well. All to the good.
>
> Anyway, all my code to deal with importing cont-tmf.zip into TL is still
> there (in ctan2tds). I tried running it (in test mode) and it seemed to
> work out ok. I think I could just eliminate the removals of mkii
> directories and restore the various other infrastructure bits in the
> tlpsrc, etc., and it would all be restored.
>
> In other words, now that you've done the stuff for lmtx, I think we can
> just add back the mkii stuff, as provided. At least metafun and texexec
> might work again.
>
> Shall I try that?

I am worried about the changes in infrastructure. In the context
standalone, everything is now done with luametatex, i.e. context and
mtxrun are now symlinks to/copies of luametatex.

Just adding .mkii/.mpii files should be pretty safe.

I can continue itemizing and collecting what needs to be added. But
if you go ahead, it might be useful to put the extended ConTeXt
package somewhere where I can download it for testing.

I would also like to have a metafun sample file and learn with what
commandline Norbert expects to compile it.

> I don't see the advantage to making a separate context-mkii package. It
> could all be the TL package context. That seems the simplest to me. It's
> all coming from the same zip, so what do we gain by splitting it up on
> our end? --thanks, karl.

I have no strong opinions about that.

--
Siep Kroonenberg