metafun broken?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Sep 30 00:14:36 CEST 2023

Hi Siep,

    I am worried about the changes in infrastructure.

Me too.

    In the context standalone, everything is now done with luametatex,
    i.e. context and mtxrun are now symlinks to/copies of luametatex.

Yeah. We certainly don't want to change that. I have some vague idea
that there is some way to tell the current mtxrun/context executables to
use mkii. Or maybe just running "texexec" is the answer.

    Just adding .mkii/.mpii files should be pretty safe.

    I can continue itemizing and collecting what needs to be added. But
    if you go ahead, it might be useful to put the extended ConTeXt
    package somewhere where I can download it for testing.

I can't easily create the package or put it anywhere without actually
installing the updates in TL. But, as you say, if all we do is add m?ii
files and not (yet) change anything in the infrastructure, that
shouldn't do any harm. Who knows until we try ...

Just adding m?ii is not easy either.  The current cont-tmf.zip has many
changes to existing files. I have to suspect the current cont-tmf also
requires the current lmtx binaries. That would be extra pain, but
doable, I suppose.

On the other hand, there's a list of mkii directories removed in
Master/tlpkg/libexec/ctan2tds, starting around line 6692. I guess we
could just manually extract those directories from the zip and add them
to TL, to at least make some progress toward being able to test. Namely:
  doc/context/scripts/mkii/
  fonts/enc/
  fonts/map/
  scripts/context/ruby/
  scripts/context/stubs/
  tex/context/*/mkii/
  metapost/context/base/mpii/

Well, before I take any action ... wdyt?

    I would also like to have a metafun sample file and

I believe any MetaPost serves as a basic test. E.g., the one line:

beginfig(0); draw (0,0) -- (1,1); endfig; end.

    with what commandline Norbert expects to compile it.

Norbert will have to pass on whatever is going on with the (I'm
guessing) Debian package, but from the metafun manual that's in TL
(texmf-dist/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/metafun-p.pdf page 9):

mpost --ini metafun.mpii yourfile.mp

I haven't tried it (with any version of TL).
That manual dates from 2017. Somehow I suspect there is a new world out
there with metafun just as with context ... --thanks, karl.