Error in Installation Process

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Fri Nov 10 16:46:34 CET 2023

On Wed, Nov 08, 2023 at 08:53:36PM +0100, M. Münch wrote:
> OK,
>
> I had missed a re: for the first post:
> https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2023-September/049456.html
>
> With
>
> install-tl-windows.bat -texdir M:\2023 -gui text
>
> installation succeeded.
>
> Idea: When installing Windows 11 this month, MS no longer allowed a local
> account but insisted on using an MS-account. (You can log out of that, but
> only after the installation of Windows has finished.) The name of my
> MS-account it my legal name, and that has a hyphen, thus "username" in
> C:\Users\username\... also has a hyphen. The username of the OP (in
> September), who signed as Yiyun (Michael) Sun, might also be something
> different than "michael". Could that be the cause of the trouble?
>
> Martin

I created a user 'Φa' and did indeed run into trouble.

- First, determining the windows version failed, although the
  command 'ver' on the command-line produced the expected result.

- Next, after hard-coding the windows version, perl failed to cd to
  the original directory, because its name got mangled.

- Third, after first cd-ing to C:\, installation wnet through until
  'desktop integration': menu items, file associations and
  searchpath, none of which got done, because of the mangled
  directory name.

We shall try to find workarounds.

>From your end: there are, or used to be, ways to avoid creating an
MS account. Another option is creating a second, local account, and
start using that instead of the original ms account.

--
Siep Kroonenberg