[tldoc] suggestions for the doc section 3.4.5 context lmtx and mkiv

Carlos linguafalsa at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 15:02:38 CET 2023

On 2/25/23 19:01, Karl Berry wrote:
>      What do tlmgr and install-tl have anything to do with ConTeXt?
>
> Context is a package (and collection and scheme) in TeX Live. It's
> installed by install-tl and updated (in the unlikely event of updates)
> by tlmgr. Both install-tl and tlmgr run (both of) the commands stated
> when the context package is installed/updated.

Karl. Please. I'm not trying to push a given set of ideas of running
things, or adding things, because I simply said so. Or to prove a point.

Let's start over. Shall we?

You or Siep wrote the section 3.4.5. Not me.

You or Siep essentially said (wrote) in that section, that in order for
ConTeXt to work, the formats, and fonts, and trees should be generated.
Correct? It wasn't me who wrote it.

You also said on the prior message the following:

«there are hundreds of lines of output from the commands, but users
don't actually have to do anything about any of it, as far as I
know.»

You're basically implying that ConTeXt --generate is all there is to it.

In other words. Any future error, should be taken up with the developers
of ConTeXt. And this begets the following question:

Have you or the users of ConTeXt taken the time of the day to generate
the formats, and trees, and fonts from ConTeXt, within a subdirectory
owned not by the user, regardless of read-write-execute permissions,
inside a directory owned by the user?

Let me guess the answer. Most likely no.

Have the users of ConTeXt play around with this behavior? Meaning:
generate the formats first and consequently change ownership of
suddirectories, or files, for that matter. How about viceversa? How
about changing ownership before ConTeXt --generate is invoked? What are
the results? Now. How about if the changes do not affect ownership but
rather some write, read, execute permissions from these files
(subdirectories), after and before ConTeXt --generate?

That's the question.