[tldoc] suggestions for the doc section 3.4.5 context lmtx and mkiv

Carlos linguafalsa at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 00:47:04 CET 2023

On 2/25/23 18:01, Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi again Carlos,
>
>      Both LuaLaTeX and ConTeXt are included. Correct?
>
> I don't actually know if lualatex and context have the same behavior or
> use the same variables any more, even though it is so stated.
>
>      reason: presumably because of the kpathsea library.
>
> Kpathsea has nothing to do with this issue.

Who said otherwise? I didn't. I wrote: quote: to find out that LuaLaTeX
simply does not seem affected at all by this issue, does it? and for a
good reason: presumably because of the kpathsea library. end quote

I haven't used LuaLaTeX in years. Only tested a file a couple of days
ago. I just found out that it has a new message on the screen saying
something in the lines of ‹This may take a few minutes. Please be
patient› It ran the file after a very brief output and that was it.
> It's all in the Lua code in
> the respective packages. As far as kpathsea is concerned, TEXMFVAR,
> TEXMFSYSVAR, and TEXMFCACHE (and many other vars) are just generic
> variables that could be named foo, bar, and baz.
>
>      Anyway. Here's a possible draft for the doc, and from what I've seen
>
> Thanks, but I simply don't think the TL guide is the place to go into
> these details of behavior, which may or may not change at any time. And,
> more importantly, about which there is, apparently, nothing the user can
> or should do.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. The reason why I brought it up here is
because as I said before, the only guide I had available was the tl guide.

>      +or
>      +\begin{sverbatim}
>      +mtxrun --generate
>      +\end{sverbatim}
>
> As far as I know, it's not "or". At least, what tlmgr and install-tl
> actually do is run both commands.

What do tlmgr and install-tl have anything to do with ConTeXt? Can't
follow you here. Sorry.

> The current text says, in effect, "there's nothing to do by default, but
> if you install files manually, then run the cache commands". That seems
> to me like all there is to say. If the behavior needs to be improved,
> that should be done by default, not by (in principle) every TL user
> changing the configuration.

Yes. Yes. But on Feb 21st you announced that TL Guide was ready

«I think the 2023 TL Guide is ready for your
tender attentions. The GUI screenshots still need to be updated (feel
free to use your own localized ones, as always), but the text should be
stable now. Barring whatever bugs/enhancements you find, of course.»

Wouldn't be an enhancement for ConTeXt users the addition of an mtxrun
--autogenerate --script context filename in that section — as Hans
suggested?

But. It's fine. It's your guide after all.

> Yes, there are hundreds of lines of output from the commands, but users
> don't actually have to do anything about any of it, as far as I
> know. --best, karl.

Yes. I agree. The reason was because usually mtxrun --generate followed
by a few more options would serve users accordingly. I never suggested
otherwise with lines and lines of code.

But it's fine. If any further modification is needed on tl guide, you
would either find out through another source and determine whether it
should be included.