Annual upgrade

Markus Kohm komascript at gmx.info
Thu Mar 28 09:23:18 CET 2024

Am Mittwoch, 27. März 2024, 00:07:00 CET schrieb Patrick Bideault via tex-
live:
> It took me five hours to get a running TeX Live again

To avoid this, you should not do an upgrade but a fresh installation. You can
use the existing previous installation as long as you change the PATH to the
new installation. And you can even switch back to every still installed
version by changing back PATH. Doing so you never would have a TeX Live
downtime.

BTW: I only deinstall old versions of TeX Live, when I'm sure, I do not need
them any longer. Deinstallation is easy: Remove /usr/local/texlive/YYYY.

BTW: If you use apt to upgrade to a new ubuntu release not only to update
packages inside the same ubuntu release, this also can fail extremely. Last
year it resulted in a no longer booting notebook, here. After some hours
trying to reactivate it, I gave up. I've then done a fresh installation and
recovered a backup of /home. So don't think, that with apt no shit happens.

But having backups mostly helps. If you do an annual fresh TeX Live
installation you automatically have a kind of backup (but usually on the same
drive so not a real backup).

Markus