luaotfload: Unsupported UNC path encountered

Rolf Niepraschk Rolf.Niepraschk at gmx.de
Wed Mar 27 17:56:11 CET 2024

I use a TeXLive installation (2024) on a Linux server and distribute it
via NFS to Linux/Unix clients and via Samba to Windows clients. On a
Windows client I integrate TeXLive as follows:

```
net use \\SERVERNAME\texlive /persistent:yes
setx PATH "\\SERVERNAME\texlive\current\bin\windows\;%PATH%"
```

This gives me access to programs like `lualatex` etc. When I translate a
document with lualatex, the LaTeX_class and the LaTeX packages are also
found. Unfortunately I get the following error several times:

```
luaotfload | db : Font names database not found, generating new one.
luaotfload | db : This can take several minutes; please be patient.
...texmf-dist/tex/luatex/luaotfload/luaotfload-realpath.lua:34:
Unsupported UNC path encountered.
```

With TeXLive 2023 this error did not exist. What is wrong? What can I do?

Thanks in advance.

...Rolf