[OS X TeX] TL2024

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Sat Mar 16 13:25:32 CET 2024

> Herbert Voss wrote:
>
> that is very different to my output, where I get only some directory
> listed.
>
> -rw-r--r--   1 voss  staff    8774 16 Mär 12:02 ls-R.perl
> -rw-r--r--   1 voss  staff  454448 16 Mär 11:58 ls-R.shell

I went back to your earlier messages in this thread (I had missed the problem was for texmf-local), where you write

> first the correct start of ls-R in texmf-local (with link to mktexlsr):
>
> voss >head -20 /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/ls-R
> % ls-R -- filename database for kpathsea; do not change this line.
> ./:
> bibtex
> doc
> dvipdfmx
> dvips
> fonts
> ls-R
> makeindex
> metapost
> scripts
> source
> src
> tex
> tlpkg
> vtex
> web2c
>
> ./bibtex:
> bib

> and the same with a link to mktexlsr.pl
>

> voss >head -20 /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/ls-R
> % ls-R -- filename database for kpathsea; do not change this line.
>
> ./:
> .:
> src
> ls-R
> fonts
> tlpkg
> dvips
>
> ./src:
>
> ./fonts:
> kerning
> afm
> enc
> truetype
> map
> inf
> source

To be sure I did the same on my setup:

	% head -20 ~/Desktop/ls-R_texmf-local_shell.txt
	% ls-R -- filename database for kpathsea; do not change this line.
	./:
	bibtex
	doc
	dvips
	fonts
	ls-R
	metapost
	source
	tex
	web2c

	./bibtex:
	bib
	bst

	./bibtex/bib:
	local

	./bibtex/bib/local:

and

	% head -20 ~/Desktop/ls-R_texmf-local_perl.txt
	% ls-R -- filename database for kpathsea; do not change this line.

	./:
	.:
	tex
	bibtex
	source
	fonts
	ls-R
	metapost
	web2c
	doc
	dvips

	./tex:
	latex
	plain
	generic
	cupplain
	amstex

Plus

	% ls -l ~/Desktop/ls-R_texmf-local_*.txt
	-rw-r--r--@ 1 brunovoisin  staff  19772 Mar 16 12:51 /Users/brunovoisin/Desktop/ls-R_texmf-local_perl.txt
	-rw-r--r--@ 1 brunovoisin  staff  19768 Mar 16 12:50 /Users/brunovoisin/Desktop/ls-R_texmf-local_shell.txt

So the two ls-R seem to reference the same dirs and files.

Could this be a permission problem? Are all the files there owned by root:wheel (I change manually ownership to root:wheel, same as TEXMFROOT, for all the files I put into texmf-local), or do some have other owners like voss:staff or similar?

Also, do you run mktexlsr with or without sudo? If sudo, do you use "sudo -H"? I think Norbert's scripts usually make sure -H is used, but the original shell script possibly doesn't.

Bruno