System queries with Lua: l3sys-query

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Mar 8 00:56:27 CET 2024

    First, I imagine that over time we might
    want a more general 'thing' here rather than just a glob.

That's fine, but that doesn't seem like a reason not to explain that,
presently, a <spec> is a glob without [...]. <spec> on its own gives no
clues as to what one is supposed to write. In fact I thought I was
supposed to use %'s (somehow).

Giving some examples, like David's, would also be extremely helpful.
Probably more helpful than anything else, in fact.

    the "[...]" syntax at the

I'm not suggesting that l3sys-query needs to support [...]. I don't
think it does. I'm only suggesting that the shortest way to describe
what <spec> (currently) is is to say "a glob, except not supporting [...]".

    listing "." and ".." doesn't help.

I agree that . and .. don't (ever) need to be listed. --thanks, karl.