tl24 pretest

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at mail.math.fsu.edu
Thu Feb 29 13:19:11 CET 2024

Hi Bruno,

> On Feb 29, 2024, at 02:41, Bruno Voisin via tex-live <tex-live at tug.org> wrote:
>
> What I don't get is that the cache path for Reinhard, /xopt/texlive/2024/texmf-var/luatex-cache/generic/fonts/, looks system-wide, not user-specific, namely TEXMFSYSVAR not TEXMFVAR. Though no sudo is mentioned, and the path is reported writable, so maybe I'm misinterpreting.
>
> On the Mac luaotfload-tool has always used TEXMFVAR, not TEXMFSYSVAR, as far as I can remember. Is there something different on the Linux and/or Windows TL setups, which would cause TEXMFSYSVAR to be used on them by default? I can't remember where, but I think I read somewhere these last few days that luaotfload gives precedence to TEXMFSYSVAR over TEXMFVAR when a cache is present in both, as a way to allow the sharing of setups between computers.

I think if you own SELFAUTOPARENT/.. (instead of it being owned by root) then you get that behavior	on MacOS too.  I get exactly that:

	luaotfload | cache : location: /opt/texlive/2024/texmf-var/luatex-cache/generic/fonts/

on MacOS and I have not been affected by not being able to write on the cache.

> Well, if today's update makes things work for everybody, the above is irrelevant and we may forget about the issue.

Indeed.

> Bruno Voisin

—Ettore