tl24 pretest

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Thu Feb 29 08:41:41 CET 2024

> On 29 Feb 2024, at 03:37, Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> When I run
>
>  luaotfload-tool -u -f --cache=show
>
> on Linux [...] In LeX Live 2024 I get
>
> luaotfload | ------------------------------------------------------------------- :
> luaotfload | cache : Luaotfload cache: writable path
> luaotfload | cache : location: /xopt/texlive/2024/texmf-var/luatex-cache/generic/fonts/
> luaotfload | cache : [raw]          0
> luaotfload | cache : [compiled]     0
> luaotfload | cache : [other]        0
> luaotfload | cache : [total]        0
>
> luaotfload | cache : Luaotfload cache: readable path
> luaotfload | cache : location: /xopt/texlive/2024/texmf-var/luatex-cache/generic/fonts
> luaotfload | cache : [raw]          0
> luaotfload | cache : [compiled]     0
> luaotfload | cache : [other]        0
> luaotfload | cache : [total]        0
> luaotfload | ------------------------------------------------------------------- :
>
> and the directory luatex-cache/generic/fonts/ is empty.
>
> [...]
>
>  luaotfload-tool --version
>
> reports [...]
>
>  luaotfload-tool version: "3.27"
>  Luatex version: 1.18
>
> in TeX Live 2024.

> Uwe Siart wrote:
>
> Just let me report back that this issue disappeared with today's update
> of luaotfload in both TL24 and TL23.

Indeed there's a luaotfload update this morning. With it, "luaotfload-tool --version" gives

luaotfload-tool version: "3.28"
Luatex version: 1.18

Hopefully this fixes things for everybody. I tested on a document of mine, using New TX fonts, everything's OK.

What I don't get is that the cache path for Reinhard, /xopt/texlive/2024/texmf-var/luatex-cache/generic/fonts/, looks system-wide, not user-specific, namely TEXMFSYSVAR not TEXMFVAR. Though no sudo is mentioned, and the path is reported writable, so maybe I'm misinterpreting.

On the Mac luaotfload-tool has always used TEXMFVAR, not TEXMFSYSVAR, as far as I can remember. Is there something different on the Linux and/or Windows TL setups, which would cause TEXMFSYSVAR to be used on them by default? I can't remember where, but I think I read somewhere these last few days that luaotfload gives precedence to TEXMFSYSVAR over TEXMFVAR when a cache is present in both, as a way to allow the sharing of setups between computers.

Well, if today's update makes things work for everybody, the above is irrelevant and we may forget about the issue.

Bruno Voisin