texlua-based tool and restricted shell escape

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Wed Feb 21 06:39:13 CET 2024

Hi Jonathan,

On Tue, 20 Feb 2024, Jonathan Fine wrote:
> Is there anyone from the arXiv reading this thread? It would be a shame if

Yes, me.

> this feature delayed the deployment of tagged PDF via Latex. Or in any
> other way caused difficulty for the arXiv's very important typesetting
> service.

Tagged PDF is still a long long way into the future. We just had the
DEIMS conference in Tokyo, and had lots of discussions with Frank on the
future of tagged PDF.
arXiv is for now going a separate way by using LaTeXML to convert to
HTML, which has the best support for visually impaired users.

> I'd be wary of running third party Latex files that could export via PDF
> important information about the system that is typesetting the files. For

The generation of PDFs is tightly guarded and compartmentalized.

> If there's anyone on the arXiv reading this, I'm all ears for what they
> have to say.

We are aware of the problems, since long.
And TL2024 will even increase security.

On Tue, 20 Feb 2024, Jonathan Fine wrote:
> Subject: Don’t take LaTeX files from strangers
> https://www.usenix.org/system/files/login/articles/73506-checkoway.pdf

Very very old.

> Much to my surprise I found a reference to MathTran, a service I created
> over 15 years ago. The article wrote: The one previewer we were unable to
> attack, MathTran, uses Secure plain TeX, a reimplementation of plain TeX
> that prevents using any control sequence other than those meant for
> typesetting.

Which unfortunately is not a possible approach on any real service, like
arXiv.

Best regards

Norbert

arXiv / Cornell University   +   IFMGA Guide   +   TU Wien  +  TeX Live