Use of TEXMFVAR by LuaMetaTeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Mon Feb 19 00:23:30 CET 2024

> On 18 Feb 2024, at 23:25, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
>
> It's not for me to change lmtx behavior, even if I knew how. If you want
> lmtx to insert the special-case /Library/ path component on Macs, you'll
> need to work something out with Hans.

Hi Karl,

This seems a matter of changing line 22358 of texmf-dist/scripts/context/lua/mtxrun.lua from

  resolvers.luacnfspec="home:texmf/web2c;selfautoparent:/texmf-local/web2c;selfautoparent:/texmf-dist/web2c;selfautoparent:/texmf/web2c"

  resolvers.luacnfspec="home:texmf/web2c;selfautoparent:/texmf-local/web2c;selfautoparent:;selfautoparent:/texmf-dist/web2c;selfautoparent:/texmf/web2c"

(ie, in the list of locations where to look for texmcnf.lua, insert SELFAUTOPARENT after SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-local/web2c but before SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-dist/web2c).

Before:

% mtxrun --var-value TEXMFVAR
home:.texlive2024/texmf-var

After:

% mtxrun --var-value TEXMFVAR
~/Library/texlive/2024/texmf-var

This seems to have no side effect, ie the variables defined in the default texmf-dist/web2c/texmfcnf.lua and not redefined in the Mac-specific texmfcnf.lua aren't affected:

% mtxrun --var-value TEXMFSYSVAR
selfautoparent:texmf-var

But I'm no ConTeXt user myself, so there are probably things I'm missing.

I'll ask Hans.

Bruno