running TL24 pretest on OpenBSD

Robert Alessi alessi at robertalessi.net
Sun Feb 18 20:54:23 CET 2024

Hello,

I would just let everyone know that I am trying to prepare the
binaries for TL24 on OpenBSD 7.4.

For now, I am doing this for myself because OpenBSD is what I use and
also because I like to learn.

More specifically, I am trying to figure out a possible way of doing
this cleanly on a distribution that undergoes two updates a year.  At
the time of writing, OpenBSD -current has just been tagged as
7.5-beta.

Here is what I did so far:

1. On OpenBSD 7.4, I compiled the binaries retrieved from the
   development sources (texlive/trunk/Build/source/).  I managed to
   include xindy and the jit-enabled lua binaries.  I definitely plan
   to work on biber, which I run for the time being as a normal perl
   program.  (I know from Nelson that compiling asymptote on OpenBSD
   is quite an intricate business, so I'm leaving that aside for now.)

2. I installed TL-pretest and used these binaries as 'custom' ones.
   All the test I ran went just fine so far.

3. I did the same on OpenBSD -current (actually 7.5 beta) which might
   be out as 7.5 in a matter of weeks.

4. I will of course add a script later on so that others can reproduce
   the build.

Anyone interested in this work is welcomed to download the binaries
here: <https://www.ekdosis.org/texlive>.

Any comments are most welcome of course!

Best,

Robert