Dependencies for latex/latex-bin

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Feb 18 19:27:16 CET 2024

    so the dependencies could I think simply be removed entirely
    from latex.

Ack, done (r69959).

    For latex-bin, however, there are several historical entries I think
    could go:
    depend atbegshi
    depend atveryend

These are still used. I build the formats with -recorder to determine
which packages are used, and thus should be the dependencies. Although
atbegshi.sty and atveryend.sty do not show up in the log, they do show
up in the recorder output. Read with \openin for some reason, maybe?
I didn't investigate.

If you want to reproduce, the command line is, for instance,
pdftex -ini  -recorder -jobname=latex -progname=latex -translate-file=cp227.tcx *latex.ini

I can send you my .fls and .log if you want.

    depend everyshi
    depend l3packages

Ack, deleted.

    At the same time, I'd say
    depend amsmath
    should be added: the team list this as a required part of a LaTeX setup,
    alongside e.g. graphics.

amsmath is already in collection-latex, along with tools, psnfss, babel,
and the other "required" (a la ctan:macros/latex/required) packages.

graphics, and only graphics, is a dependency of latex-bin only because,
as I recall, there were bug reports (from tinytex?) when it was absent,
since graphics is (as I recall) where the backend driver stuff gets
instantiated when needed.

Unfortunately it seems I did not record precisely what led to me adding
the dependency on graphics. If you want, I guess we could try removing
it and see what happens. --thanks, karl.