Dependencies for latex/latex-bin

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Wed Feb 14 09:20:38 CET 2024

Hello all,

With TL'24 pre-testing starting and a dev release of LaTeX coming out
today, I thought I'd re-check the TL dependencies for LaTeX.

In TL there are two packages that cover the core of LaTeX: "latex" and
"latex-bin". The relationship between the two seems a little odd, as
most of the *macro* dependencies are listed for latex-bin not for latex,
and what to me look like engine dependencies are listed under latex.

Taking the current split as a given, the dependencies to latex could I
think all be moved to latex-bin. It's only after all if you are building
a format that you need anything other than the sources, etc.,
themselves. All of the dependencies of latex are already listed for
latex-bin, so the dependencies could I think simply be removed entirely
from latex.

For latex-bin, however, there are several historical entries I think
could go:

depend atbegshi
depend atveryend
depend everyshi
depend l3packages

At the same time, I'd say

depend amsmath

should be added: the team list this as a required part of a LaTeX setup,
alongside e.g. graphics.

Regards,

Joseph