tl24 pretest

Vít Starý Novotný witiko at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 11:25:04 CET 2024

Dear Norbert,

> Yes, TL2023 is still updated.

Thank you for the update.

> > If TeX Live 2023 is still updated from CTAN, when is TeX Live 2023
> > scheduled to be frozen and all updates are only applied to TeX Live 2024
> > (pretest)?
> >
> > I could not find this information either in the list or on
> > https://www.tug.org/texlive/.
>
> At the bottom of the page is written
>         Plan for TeX Live 2024
> and there is
>         10mar: final updates from CTAN, final doc tweaks.
> This is not set in stone, but Karl will surely announce here when he
> stops updating TL2023.

There is also written
    2mar: code freeze for final build, major bug fixes only.
I assume this freeze only refers to the code for binaries then?

> > I would like to release Markdown 3 on CTAN only after TeX Live 2023 has
> > been frozen.
>
> Then simply wait with the CTAN upload till Karl announces the final
> TL2023 build here.

I will, thanks.

Since the CTAN updates are planned to stop on March 10 and the initial
release
of TeX Live 2024 is planned on March 13, it seems that there is no window
when
TeX Live 2024 (pretest) would still be updated from CTAN whereas TeX Live
2023
would not. If true, then this is a pity. I somehow had it in my head that
there was
such a window, which would allow package authors to react to Markdown 3
before
the initial release of TeX Live 2024, not just after it.

Best,
Vit