Bug report: Take bug reporting off the mailing list

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 18:26:10 CET 2024

ne 11. 2. 2024 v 17:40 odesílatel Denis Bitouzé
<denis.bitouze at univ-littoral.fr> napsal:

> Le 09/02/24 à 16h15, Karl Berry a écrit :
>
> > But maybe a mailto: link and [...] would be better.
>
> Do `mailto:` links work nicely with Web mails (gmail, etc.) that many
> people are using nowadays?
> --
It depends. The recipient's mailbox usually checks the MX record of
the sender in DNS. This might not exist when sent from a web form and
thus the mail can be rejected. The second thing is SPF and DMARC which
is usually not set in the web browsers and this can be the reason for
rejection as well. And the last think is greylisting. The recipient
has a white list of accepted senders and a black list of senders who
are possibly spammers. If an incoming mail is not in these list, it
goes into the grey list. The recipient's mailbox returns a message
that the server is temporarily unavailable and the sender should try
again after let say 10 seconds. Normal mail clients will resent the
mail with identical message id and the sender then gets to he white
list where it will remain some time. If the message is not resent, it
is rejected and the sender is listed in the blacklist. After some work
I managed to configure my sendmail to include both SPF and DMARC and
it can go through the grey list because it resends the message with
the same id.

> Denis

Zdeněk Wagner
https://www.zdenek-wagner.eu/