Bug in 3.141592653-2.6-0.999995 (TeX Live 2023) with fontspec and tabularray?

Ross Alexander evilross at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 7 21:54:03 CET 2024

This bug bit me again and was enough for me to take a look at XeTeX - Unicode-based TeX / Bugs / #185 Unwanted line break with \raggedleft, \centering or \raggedright

|  |
XeTeX - Unicode-based TeX / Bugs / #185 Unwanted line break with \ragged...

Looking though the xetex code there is a rounding in D2Fix {double to Fixed} function, which does a (int)(d * 65556.0 + 0.5).  It is this rounding which causes the issue and removing the +0.5 fixes the example in the bug report and in my examples.  However I don't know what side effects this change has, but having rerun it over document I was originally working on (https://wormhole.hepazulian.net/public/texworks/dq2020e.pdf) I can't see any immediate problems.  I would need to run it though both lualatex and xelatex and compare the results but that is for another day.
Regards,Ross

   On Wednesday, 31 January 2024 at 02:02:15 GMT, Bruno Voisin <bruno.voisin at univ-grenoble-alpes.fr> wrote:

 > Ross Alexander wrote:
>
> Many thanks to everybody who replied and apologies on not finding the outstanding issue.  I took at look at using math mode in tabulararry but I think the most straight forward solution is to replace the hyphen with a unicode MINUS SIGN in the tables.

LaTeX defines a \textminus for the minus sign. When using XeTeX and LuaTeX it's set as "2212 (Unicode minus) in tuenc.def.

For the inch symbol, wikipedia seems to say the glyph to use is the double prime, "2033. Latin Modern Roman doesn't have it, but Latin Modern Math does, and unicode-math defines a \dprime for it in unicode-math-table.tex. So something like

\newcommand{\inchsymbol}{\ensuremath{\dprime}}

after loading unicode-math would do the trick.

See the attached modified version of your input file.

Bruno