Bug report: Take bug reporting off the mailing list

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Fri Feb 9 17:24:24 CET 2024

On Fri, 09 Feb 2024, Jonathan Fine wrote:
> I think it would be helpful if we could find ways to help direct users to a
> better place for reporting or getting help with the issue they have, as a
> result of using the software that texlive has installed on their computer.

I think this is already happening. Many times if the problem is
distribution specific, we direct users to the respective support
channels of their distribution.

The problem is that the upstream packaging often does not have a clear
contact point. Think about an arbitrary package in TeX Live, and ask
yourself, how can I contact the author. This is very hard since many
packages are one-person developments without any regular bug tracker or
issue access point.

But we as TeX Live maintainers cannot take over this part, since this
would burn us out in very short time.

> Perhaps for some of the misplaced issues that come in, we could make an
> effort to understand why the user chose to send the issue here rather than
> some other better place. This would help give us here more of a shared
> understanding of the problem.

Let Me Google This For You ??? The first hit ...

Best regards

Norbert

Mercari Inc.     +     IFMGA Guide     +     TU Wien     +     TeX Live