Unitialized variable

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Wed Sep 27 06:30:25 CEST 2023

> Turns out this Perl warning ("Uninitialized value $_[4]...fmtutil line 374")
> shows up 55 times in the .log file.

That is a peculiarity of WSL I guess. I don't see these message nor
on MacOS nor Linux.

Also, the line referenced is
	print $STATUS_FH "@_\n";
which does not reference $_[4] at all ... this is very absurd.

> with about 40 .fmt files(?) listed in between, including
> pdfcsplain.fmt/xetex (but no mention of xelatex anywhere in the log file).

That is because the default format is backed into the format in the
plain tex case, but configured via loadable files at runtime for the
latex formats. Thus, the latex formats do not need to be rebuild.

You can run (maybe with sudo, depending on how you installed)
	fmtutil-sys --all
to rebuild all formats, then you will see that xelatex etc is also
rebuild.

Best

Norbert

Mercari Inc.     +     IFMGA Guide     +     TU Wien     +     TeX Live