Unitialized variable

Mike Maxwell mmaxwell at umd.edu
Wed Sep 27 03:26:36 CEST 2023

On 9/26/2023 6:05 PM, Karl Berry wrote:
>      xetex: error while loading shared libraries: libfontconfig.so.1: cannot
>      open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> Oh. Well, our x86_64-linux xetex binary is linked with libfontconfig
> because it's the fundamental library for looking up (system) fonts. If
> you don't have it, xetex won't run. So you either need to find it for
> WSL, or you might as well remove the xetex packages. There is no other
> (real) solution.

Ok, I'll install it and re-run the tlmgr cmd to set letter paper (see
below for result).

> In fact, the question in my mind now is how any of the xetex formats
> ever got built or rebuilt in the first place. For example, what does
> tlmgr-commands.log say about xetex.fmt or xelatex.fmt?

Neither of those .fmt files shows up in the .log file.

> Or did you try to eliminate all xetex formats and packages in the first
> place, and this stray was the only one left behind?

No.  I've used xelatex a lot, and expect I will continue to do so, so
having it run correctly is important to me.

>      deeper--it appears to be with the error logging
>
> The Perl warning in itself is not important. We should protect against
> it, but the missing libfontconfig is the only real problem here.

Turns out this Perl warning ("Uninitialized value $_[4]...fmtutil line
374") shows up 55 times in the .log file.

Now I installed libfontconfig1, then rm'd the old .log file and re-ran
     tlmgr paper letter
I *still* get 55 instances of the "Uninitialized value $_[4]" msg in the
(new) log file (but no instances of the warning about libfontconfig).
Here's the first one in the .log file
--------------
Beginning to dump on file luatex.fmt
  (format=luatex 2023.9.26)
<some info stuff, including a bunch of \font cmds>
50 preloaded fonts
warning  (pdf backend): no pages of output.
Transcript written on luatex.log.
fmtutil [INFO]: log file copied to:
/usr/local/texlive/2023/texmf-var/web2c/luatex/luatex.log
fmtutil [INFO]:
/usr/local/texlive/2023/texmf-var/web2c/luatex/luatex.fmt installed.
Use of uninitialized value $_[4] in join or string at
/usr/local/texlive/2023/bin/x86_64-linux/fmtutil line 374.
fmtutil [INFO]: --- remaking aleph with aleph
----------------

So this "uninitialized value...line 374" seems to be happening over and
over.  I don't think it's causing a major problem, since the .log file
ends with this:
--------
[Tue Sep 26 21:09:35 2023]   OK: luatex.fmt/luatex
...hilatex.fmt/hitex
--------
with about 40 .fmt files(?) listed in between, including
pdfcsplain.fmt/xetex (but no mention of xelatex anywhere in the log file).

     Mike Maxwell