In January 2024 the TeX Hour starts anew

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 21:11:14 CET 2023

Dear Colleague

Briefly, TeX Hour meetings resume in January 2024. Right now we're
reviewing experience, problems and opportunities. In January there will be
a relaunch, perhaps with a new name. They'll certainly be a focus on
accessibility and math notation in STEM learning, teaching and research.

I started the TeX Hour in December 2020. Since then we've had about 120
meetings and about 100 hours of recording. The pandemic has moved many
activities online. Perhaps it has also raised the profile and importance of
STEM accessibility.

A major example of this is the arXiv's accessibility initiative, now funded
as a central part of $12 million of infrastructure grants. Also important
are the rise of R-Markdown and Quarto as a STEM publishing platform, the
LaTeX project devoting resources to more accessible PDFs, and the TeX User
Group holding three successful online-only conferences.

Everything I have done has been possible only with the help of others. If
you'd like to help in the relaunch and rename of the TeX Hour please
respond to this message, or at least visit the website. Both the giving of
time and fair-minded criticism are valuable contributions.

https://texhour.github.io/
https://texhour.github.io/quarto/

What will 2025 to 2050 bring? To a large degree it is up to us, starting
now.

with kind regards

Jonathan