Update of siunitx went wrong (probably)

Jim zlists+texlive at jdvb.ca
Fri Nov 10 15:57:51 CET 2023

Hi All,

On Thu, Nov  9, 2023 at 14:55 (+0100), Petra Rübe-Pugliese wrote:

> On Thu 09 Nov 2023 at 18:56:41 +0900  Norbert Preining <norbert at preining.info> wrote:
>> On Thu, 09 Nov 2023, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>>> I can not confirm this. When I do an update every update
>>> notification tells me that the catalogue has been updated at the
>>> same time:

>> That is interesting, but maybe it hasn't been like this before.

> There haven't been any changes in our workflow for ages.

> We first copy the package files to the archive,
> then edit the source of the Catalogue entry,
> then _commit_ the Cataloue entry,
> then write the acknowledgement email to the uploader
> (the one from which Ulrike just quoted).

> So things do not happen _strictly_ simultaneously.
> If Karl fetches the new files while we are still editing the
> Catalogue entry (this _may_ take some time, especially for
> new packages!), then the phenomenon described by Norbert
> will happen and one will have to look for some way to
> prevent this without causing too much trouble to the TL team.

If the catalog entry editing takes some time, then why are the files copied
to the archive before that?  Given that (presumably) the file copy is
pretty fast, would it not reduce the length of time spent in the "critical
section" (an operating system reference which I hope most of you
understand) to something very small, thus reducing the amount of time for
which the files and the catalog entry are mis-matched.

Perhaps there is a good reason for the order you pick, and if so I'd be
happy if someone could enlighten me (just out of curiosity).

Cheers.
                                Jim