Update of siunitx went wrong (probably)

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Thu Nov 9 10:56:41 CET 2023

Hi Ulrike,

On Thu, 09 Nov 2023, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> I can not confirm this. When I do an update every update
> notification tells me that the catalogue has been updated at the
> same time:

That is interesting, but maybe it hasn't been like this before.
My *wild* guess is that:
- when you send out the announcement to the ctan mailing list, the two
  are in sync
- but Karl has some (hidden?) way of seeing files being update on the
  CTAN server, and pulls from them, probably *before* the announcement
  was made

(Also, because not ALL updates have announcements, so relying solely on
announcements is a no-go).

In any case, I think it would be good if we = CTAN and TL team would
talk about this how we can optimize it.

> The only case where they can get imho out of sync is if CTAN updates
> *only* the catalogue, e.g. to correct a name or description or
> similar and that could be catched if CTAN would sent some "only
> catalogue" notification.

We/Karl does not rely on any announcement emails as far as I know.

> I think that it is important that the info in texlive is in sync.
> TeX live should only update if 2 + 3 are garantied even if that
> means that the update comes a few days later.

Let us discuss this with Karl and the CTAN team off list.

> And if it updates only the catalogue it would be nice if the update
> list mentions that.

I don't understand what you want to say here. Updates are updates for
tlmgr, without any distinction. tlmgr does NOT look into the actual
files, only the changed revision. So there is no way that tlmgr can tell
you that this updates is only a meta-data update.

Best regards

Norbert

Mercari Inc.     +     IFMGA Guide     +     TU Wien     +     TeX Live