Update of siunitx went wrong (probably)

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu Nov 9 10:47:19 CET 2023

Am Thu, 9 Nov 2023 08:19:14 +0900 schrieb Norbert Preining:

> Hi all,
>
> since there seems to be sooo much confusion about version numbers and
> TeX Live packages, let me walk you through the nasty details.
>
> The usual process is:
> (1) author uploads package to CTAN
> (2) CTAN team updates package in CTAN
> (3) CTAN team updates Catalogue information
> (4) TeX Live team imports package and catalogue version
> (5) TeX Live system updates package version information from Catalogue
>
> Now, the point is that (2) and (3) is not always in sync

I can not confirm this. When I do an update every update
notification tells me that the catalogue has been updated at the
same time:

> Thanks for the upload. I've installed the new version and updated the catalogue repository.

The only case where they can get imho out of sync is if CTAN updates
*only* the catalogue, e.g. to correct a name or description or
similar and that could be catched if CTAN would sent some "only
catalogue" notification.

> Which pill do you take?

I think that it is important that the info in texlive is in sync.
TeX live should only update if 2 + 3 are garantied even if that
means that the update comes a few days later.

And if it updates only the catalogue it would be nice if the update
list mentions that.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/