O/T : linux: can I list which small caps are in a ttf/otf font ?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 2 18:11:51 CET 2023

On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 08:55:52AM +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
> On 25/10/2023 01:47, Ken Moffat via tex-live wrote:
> [...]
> > No problem with linking to it, BUT - I'm not using any latex
> > packages for the fonts.
>
> That's OK, I'm just referencing font resources for users who just want the
> font and aren't specifically looking for a package.
>
> > Thanks. I find the docs, and indeed trying to read fontforge's tiny
> > text, hard.  Will have to reinstall it and make another attempt.
>
> The documentation is mostly directed at font designers, not font managers.
>
> > Cheers.  I suppose I ought to start by reading up on the OTF font
> > format.  A quick look at wikipedia suggests the pcap or c2pc tags
> > (lowercase to petite caps, or uppercase to petite caps/0 are part of
> > what I need.
>
> Keep us posted.
>
> > I think I may be some time!
> > ĸen
> :-)
>
> Peter

A status report: I took Bob Tennent's suggestion of otfinfo -g and
I've got adequate details of all the fonts I've tested where I know
there are latin small caps, wit hthe exceptions of Source Sans 3,
Source Serif 4, and Roboto (recent versions of each, from google
fonts).  In those cases I get 'no glyph name information'.  Since I
had already started to separately show the small cap alphabets, I
can live without knowing all the details for claimed † codepoints
of those three fonts.

† : In the normal text parts of several fonts there are errors in
mapping one or two glyphs, so it always pays to check the actual
glyphs for a language. In Small Caps, there are some fonts where
latin i and dotless i both lack a dot, making the small caps useless
in e.g. turkish.

But after grepping for the scall caps with otfinfo, who would have
thought there could be so many variations ? The freefont fonts use
sc_smoething instead of something.sc, but they only cover unaccented
latin).  Many of them other variations are style variations or
language-specific.

But that still leaves what I have called 'work items' used when
assembling a glyph (I lack the correct terminology).  Some of these
are straightforward: _part.somename is used while assembling that
glyph (e.g. in Vollkorn). Others are obscure except to typogrephers:
o rogate (texgyre) or yi_yicyr (ligature for two cyrillic yi which
are like latin i-with-diaeresis). That last one initially left me
really confused becasue at first I was stripping out underscores
(latin ligatures are things like f_f but the adobe glyphlist has
'ff'.) and wondered what a cyrillic 'yiyi' might be ;-)

I also came across one instance of a separate SC font (I use my
normal C++ prog to read installed separate caps/smallcaps fonts)
which has 4 items (combining diacriticals) that are not in the main
fonts.  Made an exception for that in the other script where I add
' +SC' to the existing codepoints file, so that I do not flag it up
as "something was wrong in what I extracted".

Overall, this is good enough for me.  I'll attach the current
version of my bash script.  At first I was documenting all the items
which I knew created warnings.  But then I ran the script agaisnt a
recent version of Junicode and got a lot more.

ĸen
--
This is magic for grown-ups; it has to be hard because we know there's
no such thing as a free goblin.