luatex-1.17.0 update

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu May 4 23:19:40 CEST 2023

On Tue, May 02, 2023 at 03:26:29PM -0600, Karl Berry wrote:

> The change that's most likely to be noticeable is that the socket
> library is now disabled by default; a new option --socket enables it, as
> well as --shell-escape (not --shell-restricted). In addition, the mime
> library is now always available, and new functions os.socketsleep and
> os.socketgettime are also always available. I will put a more detailed
> summary at https://tug.org/texlive/bugs.html after the binaries are
> committed.

Am I reading correctly that --socket is a compile option (rather
than a runtime option for luatex) ?

Asking because I ripped out my old local source build, reinstalled
after patching with (only) the three luatex commits from the
texlive-source git mirror [1.], and now mkiv with the minimal fixups
I was using fails with : module 'socket.core' not found:

apparently it's looking in '.' and /usr/local for variations on
socket/core.lua, socket/core/init.lua, socket/core.so and socket.so.

Looking at my logs of what was installed without those patches,
texmf-dest/scripts/context/lua/mtx* had nothing with 'socket' in its
name.

1. commits
 Bump to version 1.16.1; bugfix for setpdforigin
 LuaTeX 1.17.0
 reformat NEWS
   This sounded like a security item, so I ignored the many other
   fixes (as well as the move to 2024 in text), it looks as if some
   of those are associated with scripts in texmf-dist and I'm in no
   ush to start patching that.

Since this is important enough for everyone to update luatex, I
assume I do not want to apply that compile option for the general
case ?

--
ARTHUR: I am your king!
WOMAN: Well, I didn't vote for you.