luatex-1.17.0 update

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 4 19:56:40 CEST 2023

Hi,

On Tue, 2 May 2023 at 23:28, Karl Berry wrote:

> FYI: some issues have been found in luatex (obscure ways to work around
> some security features; thanks to Max Chernoff).  Luigi has committed
> fixes to the sources, and we are rebuilding now. The new luatex version
> is 1.17.0. All four luatex binaries (luatex luahbtex luajitex luajithbtex)
> are affected. The different platforms will come in as the respective
> builders have time; so far, x86_64-linux and *-netbsd have been updated.
>
> The change that's most likely to be noticeable is that the socket
> library is now disabled by default; a new option --socket enables it, as
> well as --shell-escape (not --shell-restricted). In addition, the mime
> library is now always available, and new functions os.socketsleep and
> os.socketgettime are also always available. I will put a more detailed
> summary at https://tug.org/texlive/bugs.html after the binaries are
> committed.
>
> The new binaries do not, so far as I know, even require a .fmt rebuild,
> though tlmgr will make that happen anyway as a matter of course with a
> normal installation.

I would also suggest updating luametatex to
    https://github.com/contextgarden/luametatex/releases/tag/v2.10.08
so that we could update ConTeXt that will then work with both luatex
and luametatex.

My first request would be if we could perhaps replace
    https://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/source/luametatex-230310.tar.xz?view=log
with
    https://tug.org/svn/texlive/branches/branch2023/Build/source/utils/luametatex/luametatex-src
(using the contents above, version 2.10.08) in an uncompressed form,
to make the sources slightly better accessible.

(I still need to figure out if I can get the build to be done
automatically, but that will take a while, so I would not wait for
that to happen now.)

LuaTeX (or rather: the full TL build) for the "CG" platforms can be found here:
    https://dl.contextgarden.net/build/texlive/branches/branch2023/
(some of the builds are still running).

LuaMetaTeX 2.10.08 can be found here:
    https://dl.contextgarden.net/build/luametatex/main/
but universal-darwin, netbsd and cygwin builds need to come from the
corresponding builders.

It would probably be helpful to get the "import context into tex live"
script working again before importing the new luametatex and context
(which should ideally be done at the same time).

Mojca