Thu 22 June: TeX Hour: Access and a Fibonacci wedding cake: 6:30 to 7:30pm BST

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 19:50:55 CEST 2023

Hi

This is an informal personal talk about the influence of accessibility on a
math research problem, and vice versa. The problem is to define something
like Pascal's triangle, but with the rows summing to the Fibonacci numbers.
Such I call a Fibonacci wedding cake, as it is an elaborate tower made out
of multiple tiers.

TeX Hour: Thursday 22 June, 6:30 to 7:30pm BST
<https://texhour.github.io/2023/06/15/talmo-access-math/>
Zoom URL:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/78551255396?pwd=cHdJN0pTTXRlRCtSd1lCTHpuWmNIUT09

Here's something that surprised me. Pascal's triangle can be presented in
several ways. For a sighted person the usual way (using Markdown) is:

||||| 1 |
|||| 1 || 1 |
||| 1 || 2 || 1 |
|| 1 || 3 || 3 || 1 |
| 1 || 4 || 6 || 3 || 1 |

The surprise was the thought that for a blind person (again in Markdown)
this left-aligned form might be much better.

| 1 |
| 1 | 1 |
| 1 | 2 | 1 |
| 1 | 3 | 3 | 1 |
| 1 | 4 | 6 | 4 | 1 |

I'd very much welcome any feedback on access to number triangles. Although
the Fibonacci wedding cake is connected to some advanced topics, no special
knowledge of pure math is required for this talk. Just an interest in
learning about and discovering patterns.

with best regards

Jonathan