TL ConTeXt in minimal setup

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Tue Jul 18 10:17:21 CEST 2023

On 18/07/2023 06:47, Joseph Wright wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>
> On 17/07/2023 23:51, Karl Berry wrote:
>>      OK, you have to run mtxrun with LuaTeX:
>>         luatex --luaonly <path-to>/mtxrun.lua --generate
>>
>> Thanks Joseph. It seems complex to be the invocation for tlmgr, though
>> could be done, of course. I also thought context automatically rebuilt
>> its stuff at the drop of a hat precisely to avoid such manual
>> rebuilds. I'm baffled as usual.
>
> I suspected it's not run anywhere 'manually' by tlmgr: I wanted mainly
> to ensure there was a record on the list of what seems to fix the issue.
> Probably I'll end up adding this to the script that does the install so
> things work.
>
> I'm still trying to track down what it is that's different between
> scheme-infraonly + package context and a fuller install. I'll keep
> experimenting.
>
> Joseph

OK, I've found that if I use a profile installing "scheme-context", then
everything is OK, but if I use a profile using "scheme-infraonly" then
"tlmgr install scheme-context", it doesn't!

Looking what the installation routine actually logs when using
scheme-context from a profile, it says

     setting up ConTeXt cache: running mtxrun --generate ...done
     running context --luatex --generate ...done

and indeed if I use "scheme-infraonly", add in "context" then run those
two commands, it works.

So the question is what the subtle difference is between installing
"scheme-context" from a profile and from tlmgr.

Regards,

Joseph