Upgrade failure and corrupted installation ?

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Wed Aug 30 11:51:06 CEST 2023

Hi Yann,

> What bugs me still is : what if this happens in a context of an array of
> computers where texlive is managed to do scripted, unattended upgrades
> (which I will likely be confronted to in the future) ?

Honestly, the case we are discussing here is really really rare.
It is now more than 15+ years we are running updates with tlmgr, there
have been only very few reports like this.

I *WILL* look into the tlmgr code to see if there is anything I can do
to make tlmgr more resilient. We have done many steps in this direction,
and normally we deal with failed downloads already very well (retry,
push non-necessary installs to later, ...).

In your case there was a very strange situation that the server did
allow for a connection, but did not respond. Normally there should be
a 4XX error and that is what we are dealing with, but in your case
that didn't happen. That server was *seriously* messed up.

> What would be a correct (scripted) procedure to harden things a little ? Is

If you want a really stable system, I recommend the same as Zdenek (and
what I am doing):
- rsync the tlnet directory
- install/update from the local rsync checkout

Best

Norbert

Mercari Inc.     +     IFMGA Guide     +     TU Wien     +     TeX Live