Upgrade failure and corrupted installation ?

Yann Salmon contact at yannsalmon.fr
Wed Aug 30 10:31:56 CEST 2023

Hello,

to conclude with this : I just reinstalled the whole thing, which gave
the occasion of stripping many packages I was not actually using (the
install GUI is nicer than in my memories from 2017, btw).

What bugs me still is : what if this happens in a context of an array of
computers where texlive is managed to do scripted, unattended upgrades
(which I will likely be confronted to in the future) ?

Surely, one cannot let tlmgr update go on "foerever" if a mirror is not
responding adequately.

What would be a correct (scripted) procedure to harden things a little ?
Is making a backup of the tlpdb before running tlmgr update a good idea
? And how to use that to restore the whole installation in case tlmgr
update had to be aborted, or exited with an error ?

(à la git checkout -f backupPoint &&  git clean -fd && git reset --hard)

--
Cordialement,

Yann Salmon