[pdftex] sound files

Thomas Drozdek thomas.drozdek at studserv.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Feb 26 14:16:43 CET 2002

Hi,

some months ago, I had the problem to include multimedia files (.mpg, .wav,
.mov) in a pdf, which can be started by any picture used as an icon.

For sound files (.wav), I found following solution:

\begin{center}
\fbox {\dimen1=2cm \dimen2=2cm \pdfimage width \dimen1 height
\dimen2 {picture.jpg} \hspace{-0,275cm} \pdfannot width -\dimen1
height -\dimen2 {/Subtype /Link /A << /S /Launch /F (sound.wav)>>
/Border [16 16 0] }}
\end{center}

This code creates a 2cm x 2cm box with a picture "picture.jpg" inside. By
clicking on the picture a player will be opened, which plays the file
"sound.wav" (I tried it with Windows2000/Acrobat Reader 5.0). I think, it
should also work with .mp3 files, but I don't know it exactly.
If you succeed, please let me know.

Regards

Thomas