Re: glyph naming problems with MathTime

> And to make things even worse, lucidabr.sty uses \varGamma etc to
> access the slanted Greek capitals which clashes with the use of the \var
> prefix for variants like \varUpsilon.

For compatiblity, \Upsilon presumably should produce the usual shapy
version, not the one that looks like an `Y'.  As for \varGamma for
the slanted Greek capitals, I'm not sure what to do.  I suppose this
should be handled by \mathnormal vs. \mathrm.

> You are probably right that pl+etx is less insane than afm+mtx. If only
> fontinst would produce an etx file from the afm file as a starting point.

Creating an .etx from .afm is not too difficult with a little
M-x query-replace-regexp or alternively a bit of `sed' or `awk'.

> Ulrik, what do you think, should we provide the virtual fonts for
> MathTime/Lucida in just one size (since the type1 fonts they are using
> come in only one design size anyway) ? I have tried this for Lucida
> by putting definitions like

> \def\xlasizes{\do{}{}{<->}}

> in tex/sizes.tex. This causes xla.vpl to be produced; instead of
> xla<design size>.vpl

Yes, definitely.  If the font is implemented using Type 1 fonts
exclusively, there shold be only one scalable version.  At least,
this is the way it was done for `mathptm' and I followed this
principle in `mmaptm' as well.  (Things get messy, if you start
mixing Type 1 fonts with Metafont fonts, but this should better be
avoided in the MathTime, Lucida, or Mathematica versions anyway.)

So long,
Ulrik.

P.S.  Given the deadline of December 15 for the draft version
of  the EuroTeX paper, I'll reschedule the implementation work
to a lower priority for the next two weeks.  I hope to be able
to circulate a draft paper for review before the weekend.