Re: defining the script sizes via font dimens

Matthias,

 > ... but the calculation  *does* establish a linear relation between the
 > three sizes.

correct. for that reason it is only a fallback.

 > The size don't have to scale linear with the new system,
 > since the appropriate sizes can be specified separately for each
 > body size (the scaling of font dimensions is only relevant if you
 > load a font 'at' a different size).

true, but only for fonts that have different design sizes right? so
about how many font families we are talking about?

 > The difference to the current interface is that with the new system, the font
 > designer can specify the defaults and they can vary between different fonts.
 > With the current system, you have to load a style file to override LaTeX's
 > defaults, if they are not appropriate. The new interface still allows you to
 > override the defaults with an explicit \DeclareMathSizes.

I see the argument that this is information that should ideally come
with the font. at what point is the new interface acting? (sorry i
haven't yet downloaded your new distribution, i can't do this form
this account --- but will next week).right now i don't see a good way
how this should work all together, perhaps you have found one.

 > > For serious book production i think you need to be able to set these
 > > values explicitly depending on the leading and the body fontsize you
 > > use etc. thus adding another interface that gives you defaults (on a
 > > good day) doesn't seem to me worth the effort.
 >
 > Sad to here this, as I have already put some effort into it. How come
 > it is in the YAASP proposal, if it is useless ?

well, first of all i didn't want to say that it is useless, my comment
about worth the effort was because you seemed to run into problems on
that front. so my pragmatic approach would have been to code default
\DeclareMathSizes into the package setting up the new math font
interface, for example, by option files, eg

\usepackage[lucida]{newmath}    % internally loads nmlucida.cfg or something

second, YAASP is not bugfree, you discovered some along the way, it is
a student work who did a great job with a lot of help from experts but
nobody is perfect. and after all this work was done some time ago and
we have learned new facts, for example, that adding parameters to
ecfonts wasn't yet a great success (the situation in the math font
case is slightly different as we can assure that *all* math fonts
usable for TeX will have those additional parameters if used under the
new encodings)

third, why assume that i might not be wrong?

best
frank