[XeTeX] Problem building XeTeX on Ubuntu 8.04

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun May 25 13:42:27 CEST 2008

On 25 May 2008, at 12:08 pm, Stephen Moye wrote:

> I have a new installation of Ubuntu 8.04 using VMware Fusion
> (v1.1.2). I can get XeTeX (from svn source) to build, but there is
> a problem at the very end:
>
> ### Making xetex binary using: 'cd Work/texk/web2c && /usr/bin/make
> web2cdir=/usr/share/texmf/web2c xetex'
> make: *** No rule to make target `xetex'.  Stop.
> ### failed to build the xetex binary
> sgmoye at sgmoye-desktop:~/xetex$
>
> What have I done that I shouldn''t, or, not done that I should've?

Sounds like the same thing that Vafa Khalighi was asking about a
couple of days ago, but I never saw enough of the output to know
what's failing. My guess is an error at configure time meaning that
the proper Makefile isn't created; then the script goes ahead and
compiles the libraries, but when it gets to the stage of "make
xetex", it can't.

Maybe you're lacking a "development" package on your installation,
maybe libfontconfig-dev or whatever Ubuntu calls it?

JK