[tldoc] Few questions on: 2023

doc. RNDr. Ján Buša, CSc. jan.busa at tuke.sk
Mon Mar 6 08:28:16 CET 2023

Dear Karl,

thank you very much, I understand it better now 😊.

With best wishes,

Jan

________________________________
Od: Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org>
Odoslané: nedeľa 5. marca 2023 23:23:01
Komu: doc. RNDr. Ján Buša, CSc.; tldoc at tug.org
Predmet: Re: Few questions on: [tldoc] 2023

Hi Jan - thanks for working on the manual update, as always.

    1) Maybe it should be used \macOS{} instead of macOS on lines 4044,
       4162, 4253, 4260, and 4265?

Ok, changed. I don't ordinarily go back and edit existing text to use
new abbreviation macros, but no harm in this case. And I should have
seen it in the new text. Not that the macro actually does anything in
this case ... I only used it because the previous \MacOSX macro did have
a reason to exist (spacing). (The endless churn by Apple marketing is
painful.)

    \noindent \code{tlmgr} and infrastructure: \begin{itemize*}

By "infrastructure" I mean basic code in addition to tlmgr, notably
install-tl, also the Perl modules, etc. Sometimes I make a separate list
for install-tl. I guess I should have done that again since almost all
the notable changes here are about install-tl, not tlmgr, but ... I
don't know. Just trying to reuse the text I used before, I guess.

    "default to text interface on macOS" - is the "infrastructure" default?

It's install-tl that now defaults to the text interface on Macs (because
Apple removed tcl).

    "install core packages" - tlmgr and infrastructure install?

"install core packages first" applies to install-tl.
"retry other packages once" applies to both install-tl and tlmgr.
If I recall correctly.

    "simplistic checks" - checks are done or tlmgr "checks"?

Checks are done (by install-tl). I added "are done" to make that
clearer.

Changes committed in r66380. --thanks again, karl.