[tldoc] suggestions for the doc section 3.4.5 context lmtx and mkiv

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Mon Feb 27 15:01:55 CET 2023

On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 08:46:44AM -0500, Carlos wrote:
> On 2/26/23 18:14, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > Hi Carlos,
> >
> > I am late in the game, but just a comment from my side as author of most
> > of the tools mentioned here.
> >
> > We had and always have to work around the "peculiarities" or context
> > (not using kpathsea, using their own format building stuff, ...) and we
> > have done this since 20 years or so now.
> >
> > I am more than happy to include new incantations of context with
> > whatever is hip today (and will surely be outdated in 3 years again,
> > mostly to *our* pain and not anyone's else).
> >
> > That said, we *expect* a certain level of cooperation and adherence with
> > how we do things.
> >
> > If you want an honest discussion here, make yourself very deeply
> > knowledgable about how TeX Live and install-tl/tlmgr works, and *then*
> > starting overly heated debates.
>

> Anyone following tlmgr closely for the last decade or so, knows fully well
> that breaks down without ConTeXt.
>
> And after seeing your next comment. Nope!! And I don't need Roman mentality
> debates either, whether heated or non-heated.
> >
> > On Sun, 26 Feb 2023, Carlos wrote:
> > > In other words. Any future error, should be taken up with the developers of
> > > ConTeXt. And this begets the following question:
> > >
> > > Have you or the users of ConTeXt taken the time of the day to generate the
> > > formats, and trees, and fonts from ConTeXt, within a subdirectory owned not
> > > by the user, regardless of read-write-execute permissions, inside a
> > > directory owned by the user?
> >
> > No, because this is NOT how TeX Live works. Take it or leave it.
> > We are more than happy to drop stuff that works against our policies,
> > and one of that is ability to support multiple users.
> >
> > And we will NOT work around another 15 corners to get things working for
> > another change in how context formats work.
>
> You're not leaving much room. On one hand you're willing to accommodate and
> with the same token refuse to do so.
> >
> > > files, for that matter. How about viceversa? How about changing ownership
> > > before ConTeXt --generate is invoked? What are the results? Now. How about
> > > if the changes do not affect ownership but rather some write, read, execute
> > > permissions from these files (subdirectories), after and before ConTeXt
> > > --generate?
> > >
> > > That's the question.
> >
> > The quesion is, why is `context --generate` *always* special ...?
>
> Thank you Norbert. Borrowing Hans' previous comment
>
> «if it's about wrting some cache path it's not different between latex and
> context (using luatex) as both need it for fonts… »
>
> I would have expected the same thing.

The section on ConTeXt anticipated the planned move from ConTeXt
mkiv + mkii to lmtx + mkiv within TL. This move is now a fact, and
'mtxrun --generate' and 'context --luatex --generate' should now
work as advertised. It is still not quite settled if or when these
commands should be run manually by the user.

--
Siep Kroonenberg