[tldoc] top-level README for TL

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Mar 12 22:49:31 CET 2019

It's necessary to change the top-level README for TeX Live this year,
due to the GUI changes for the installer. I updated that, and since
changes were needed, also updated all the urls to use https.

New version, html and text:
http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/readme-html.dir/readme.en.html?view=log
http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/readme-txt.dir/README.EN?view=log

I'll attach a diff (or see svn).  Please update your translation(s), and
either commit or email me the new files (as attachments please, as they
will likely get garbled otherwise). There are text versions for these
languages/encodings (and more are welcome):

  CS DE EN ES FR IT JA PL PT-BR
  RU RU-cp1251 RU-koi8
  SK-ascii SK-cp1250 SK-il2
  SR ZH-CN

Thanks,
Karl

P.S. By the way, to avoid having to make all the changes twice, I create the
English text version from the html by running
  htmltext <readme-html.dir/readme.en.html >readme-txt.dir/README.EN
where htmltext is at:
http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/tlpkg/bin/htmltext?view=co
If you look at the script you'll see it just runs lynx and massages the
output a bit.