Feb23 news: conferences, election, lucida, books, tugboat, ctan

Andreas Scherer andreas_tex at freenet.de
Thu Feb 16 19:36:02 CET 2023

 > [...]; and the fourth edition of
 > Stop Stealing Sheep by Erik Spiekermann, reviewed by John D Lamb (the
 > latter book is available under a CC license for no cost).
I received the printed book directly from The Other Collection and spent
a few funny hours reading the whole thing. It's highly recommended!
(Errors on pages 88, 133, 145, 171, 187, 201, and 203, and in chapter 5
were reported to the author and should be corrected in future printings
and PDFs.)

Chapter 10 on Variable Fonts reminded me of Don Knuth's 1982 text "The
Concept of a Meta-Font", reprinted as chapter 15 of his book "Digital
Typography" (CSLI, 1999), and the critical article of Douglas Hofstadter
"Metafont, Metamathematics, and Metaphysics", also in "Visible Language
16 (1982)".

Also take a look at Spiekermann's "experimental letterpress workshop"
(https://p98a.com) for ideas and inspiration.

Cheers,
Andreas