index package

Frank Mittelbach frank.mittelbach at latex-project.org
Sun Mar 31 15:45:53 CEST 2024

Am 31.03.24 um 14:00 schrieb David Carlisle:
> checking on overleaf, this document gives an error since at least 2014
> when l3backend (or in fact the whole of expl3) was not in the format at all
> So I don't think the package breakage is related to any recent l3 changes.
>
> \documentclass{book}
>
> \usepackage{index}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \chapter{aaa}
>
> xxx\index{foo}
> \end{document}

index.sty require you to say \makeindex to define the "default"
index class or otherwise something like

\newindex{default}{idx}{ind}{Index}

if you want to set up your index classes yourself. With that it works in
current TL as well as in older TLs.

The warnings:

LaTeX Warning: Command \markboth  has changed.
                Check if current package is valid.

LaTeX Warning: Command \markright  has changed.
                Check if current package is valid.

are due to its use of \CheckCommand whicxh no longer matches current
definitions, but it then goes ahead and makes its replacement
definitions anyhow. That is the case for a long time.

>     Howdy,
>
>     The index package no longer works with the most recent l3backend.
>     It's been around a long time without being updated (last update, a
>     beta, in 2004) and the documentation doesn't seem to list a contact
>     point for the author.

So what exactly is not working, suddenly, Herb?

frank