Annual upgrade

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Thu Mar 28 12:29:20 CET 2024

Hi

> For me the most important thing Patrick said is "I just wanted to point out
> how complex the whole operation is, and how this complexity can put users
> off."

It is not complex, you have two options:
- install a new version (the recommended way)
- call sh update-tlmgr-latest.sh -- --upgrade

I really don't see how we can make this more simple ...

> I applaud this sentiment. I am concerned that for many users installing and
> upgrading TeXLive is substantially harder than using TeX.

??? I can tell you one thing, the most questions on tex.stackexchange,
as well as we ge there on the ML (as well as the questions I get in my
day-time job), are 99% about **using** LaTeX, not about installing it.

You might have a squeezed experience.

Best regards

Norbert

arXiv / Cornell University   +   IFMGA Guide   +   TU Wien  +  TeX Live