ConTeXt setup in TeX Live

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Tue Mar 26 19:18:41 CET 2024

> On 26 Mar 2024, at 16:37, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
>
>    mtxrun --generate
>    mtxrun --script fonts --reload
>
> I believe the former will be run automatically by tlmgr, but nothing is
> going to run the latter (never heard of it before). So people who need
> it will have to do it by hand. From the options, I guess it's just
> about finding newly installed fonts. I wonder if we should do it
> whenever we run mtxrun --generate et al.?

I found these at

https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Use_the_fonts_you_want

Indeed, in the tests I made, the first line allowed ConTeXt to find TEXMFLOCAL, but the fonts inside weren't seen. For this, the second line was necessary.

Based on the output, it looks like:

- "mtxrun --generate" is similar to mktexlsr, and

- "mtxrun --script fonts --reload" is similar to updmap, or perhaps more appropriately "luaotfload-tool --update --force".

I could not find the meaning of --reload in the man page and in the help, but it's given (together with much more info) at

https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Mtxrun#base
https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Mtxrun#fonts

Bruno