[tex-live] TL 2024: lua's file.is_writable() broken

Dr. Werner Fink werner at suse.de
Thu Mar 21 13:19:12 CET 2024

On 2024/03/21 12:31:55 +0100, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:

> Broken by design ... from /etc/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
>
>  % Do we allow TeX \input or \openin (openin_any), or \openout
>  % (openout_any) on filenames starting with `.' (e.g., .rhosts) or
>  % outside the current tree (e.g., /etc/passwd)?
>  % a (any)        : any file can be opened.
>  % r (restricted) : disallow opening dot files
>  % p (paranoid)   : as `r' and disallow going to parent directories, and
>  %                  restrict absolute paths to be under $TEXMFOUTPUT.
>  openin_any = a
>  openout_any = p
>
>  % Write .log/.dvi/.aux/etc. files here, if they can't be written in the
>  % current directory.
>  %
>  % Best to use this only when a particular job requires it, not set
>  % globally in a configuration file or the environment. We recommend
>  % using it transiently for particular jobs, not making a permanent setting.
>  %TEXMFOUTPUT = /tmp
>
> ... as io.open() goes to luatex_io_open() which uses
> kpse_out_name_ok_silent_extended() ... kpathsea_out_name_ok_silent_extended()
> ... kpathsea_out_name_ok_1() ... kpathsea_name_ok()

The best is that TEXMFOUTPUT in /etc/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf can take

  TEXMFOUTPUT = $HOMECACHE

and works but

  TEXMFOUTPUT = $HOMECACHE;$TEXMFVAR

also for system processes goes wrong as lists seems not to be supported
as well.  To use a standard io.open() in combination with kpathsea seems
to not very handy here for a multi user system with a user and group
called both "mktex" for adminstration and a lot of other users.

Werner