BoundingBox in PostScript output for A4 is too large and the computation with its comment are bogus

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 20:50:46 CET 2024

Well, using complex numbers, double numbers, tensors, wave functions
and other algebras make no sense because whatever you display is a
projection onto a 2D Euclidean space. The original object need not
even be metric as is very frequent case in physical chemistry. Your
example with a subpart of a subpart ... of a subpart makes no sense as
well. There is a limit on the maximum number of object and on the
number of elements of a path. There is no standard, it is device
dependent and implementation dependent. If the limit is exceeded, the
RIP reports a fatal error. Thus if you create anything with too deep
zoom nesting, the result will be a RIP crash. In display postscript,
"0 setlinewidth" should result in a technically thiniest line but in
phototypesetters such line usually disappears. The same applies to a
too small font size. If you run the file through preflight, it defines
safe smallest limits which should work an all devices and will
guarantee that the RIP will not crash and the result will be the same
as on your device. Thus you never need resolution of 0.001 bp thus
three decimal digits are enough. If your application requires more, it
means that it cannot be represented in PS or PDF and you need your own
preprocessor. Look eg at Google Maps. They are not just zoomed in and
out, when zoomed out small objects disappear because the source has
several layers for different zoom levels. In addition, rendering times
increases at least quadratically, thus if you request changing the
details from 1 bp to 1e-6 bp, then the time requirement will increase
by 12 orders of magnitude. Assume that rendering a usual page will
take 1 ms. In your example it will need almost 32 years.

Zdeněk Wagner
https://www.zdenek-wagner.eu/